Friday, March 18, 2011

Mercenary firm or Security Firm?

As Reported HERE

I don't know about you but I have some reservations about taking the media seriously at times. In the following article one firm is termed as a "Mercenary Firm" and the other as a "Security Firm" and I am curious how they differentiate between the two. I have no bad remarks that I could ever make about Erik Prince as he is one of the most intelligent persons in the security industry today and I am not in any way saying that the media is accurate about Blackwater. My confusion is how can they call Saracen a Mercenary Firm in the same paragraph?


Somalia: Puntland Drops Deal With Mercenary Firm

The northern region of Puntland has suspended a deal with the South African mercenary firm Saracen International to train an antipiracy force, two government officials said Thursday. Saracen International was hired to train 1,050 men in Puntland to battle the pirates that menace Somalia’s coast. The project was linked to Erik Prince, founder of the private security firm Blackwater. Lafras Luitingh, the chief operating officer of Saracen, said in a statement that the program had been suspended since Feb. 12, and that the decision was made “after close consultation with the U.N.” The Somali government canceled a similar contract with Saracen in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment